I was recently asked how hard it was to make the black bottom cupcakes, and I thought I would share the recipe so you can try if for yourself. It is a very easy recipe to follow.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-puropse flour
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch-processed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar (I used the cider vinegar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Place 12 paper liners in cupcake trays.
2. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl mix water, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth.
5. Pour batter into paper liners. Fill three-quarters of the way to the top.
6. Spoon a few tablespoons of the filling into the center of each cake. The cupcakes will now be at the top of the paper.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes until cupcakes tested done.
8. Cool for 5 minutes and then take out of the pan and cool on the rack.
Yeilds 12 cupcakes
8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped ( I used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips)
To make the filling:
1. Cream sugar, cream cheese and egg with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Fold in the chopped chocolate with a rubber spatula.
Let me know if you make it and how you like it!