Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Peaceful Owl Cake

Whooo knew that Owls with Peace signs would become a trend.  I was asked to make an owl cake for Kayleigh's 9th birthday and she said the theme was owls and peace signs.  I thought that it sounded cute and new, but when I googled "Owls and Peace Signs"  (so I could see what her party plates looked like) there were tons of cakes just like the plates.  It must be a new thing for young girls.  I often miss the girl trends because I have three boys, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. 

I also was surprised with the cake flavors she chose.  She wanted a layer of chocolate and a layer of vanilla with pureed strawberries and cut strawberries for the filling.  This is the second person that has asked me to do one layer of chocolate and one of vanilla.  Have you seen this?  Most people that want both flavors either do tiers and have a cake of each or they get marbled cake where the chocolate is swirled with the vanilla.  

For those of you that don't do a lot of carving of cakes this is a fairly simple shape to carve.  It started out as a 12 inch square and you just take a little off the top in the center to give the ears some shape and then curve inward on the bottom.  


Lets go make more cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment